Wednesday, July 22, 2015

Thing 4: Google

I'm pretty sure I've had a Google account for as long as I have been using the internet. I use Gmail for email, calendar to organise, Picasa, photos, Youtube, Drive, Docs, Maps and even a Google+ account (which I don't use). I have used Hangouts once or twice, but I do tend to favour Skype for instant messaging and Voip.

One thing I am benefiting from related to this Thing, is learning about PowerSearching online courses on offer (through the Facebook group - thanks to Christine Jordon for sharing it!). It's great to confirm that I am using Google search functions effectively, or finding out I'm not! I had no idea Google run these courses...and I guess that is what a Professional Learning Network is fabulous for :)

We were asked to #thing4 for this blog post, but I'm not really sure how hashtags work with blogger, so there is another thing to learn! 


2 comments:

  1. Hi

    I like Skype for video calls too, but I find that more people are on Hangouts now, as it is slowly becoming the default messaging app on Android devices. What I like about hangouts is that you can have multiple users all sharing video at the same time, and it also has a screen-sharing function......so let's say you call me up on hangouts because you're stuck on something technical on your computer: you can share your computer screen with me so that I can see exactly what your computer screen looks like. I can't interact with it (you still have to control the mouse and press buttons), but at least it gives me a better understanding of what is going on with your machine. With Skype, the only video feed you can provide is from your webcam, not your screen itself.

    I also find that Hangouts is less intensive on my internet connection compared to Skype.

    The Rudai23 Team

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the tips Wayne, I will try it out :)

    ReplyDelete