Friday, July 10, 2015

Thing 2: Why I am a Librarian



It's an interesting thing to me that I've ended up here, as a librarian in a public library.

My original plan was to race through the MIS and get a cozy job in an academic library which would fund me getting back to my first love; a history dissertation on ancient magical incantation bowls :)

Getting hot glue all over my fingers from making sock puppets, reading about badly behaving farm animals  and singing "Five woolly sheep" to a bunch of eager preschoolers is about as far removed from that first love as you can get.

But I love this! Having the public library in the little town we currently live in just down the road, well, it made sense to apply for a job there.

So I guess I am a librarian because I needed a job that suited my academic pursuits. But I am a public librarian because I like people and I like libraries. I'm really happy about bringing value to people's lives through the community building potential of the public library. I like the non-institutional education that goes on. I love seeing the peer-to-peer learning. I like to facilitate knowledge creation. It all comes naturally to me, and it just fits.

I'll get back to those incantation bowls at some stage down the track! 

2 comments:

  1. Hi

    It's great to read that you love your job! Not everyone can say that.

    The Rudai23 Team

    ReplyDelete